The Admissions Process includes the following steps:
- Learn About Us through Our Web Page
- Start an Application (live now thru Friday, March 1, 2019)
- Attend an Information Session
- Schedule a Diagnostic Test (live now thru Friday, February 22, 2019)
- Schedule a Shadow Day Visit (live now thru Friday, March 29, 2019)
- Complete and Submit Your Application
Learn About Us through Our Web Page
Mass Academy is highly selective, admitting approximately 50 new students to the junior class each year. Most candidates are high honors students in their current schools or are in the top percentages of their classes, and have impressive lists of extracurricular activities. Admission criteria include high school grades, teacher recommendations, standardized test scores, extracurricular activities, a personal essay, and scores on the Academy diagnostic test.
- Review the Academy website to determine whether you are eligible to apply to the Academy and that it is a good fit for you.
- Be sure to look through the About Menu at the top of this page which includes our School Profile, Student Web Pages, Faculty, answers to Frequently Asked Questions, and more.
Start an Application
- You can start an application at any point in the application process, but we recommend starting one early so you can begin to gather the necessary information and request recommendations.
- Our online application process for this school year runs from December 3, 2018, to March 1, 2019.
- Click on the Apply button at the top of this page to begin or continue your application.
Attend an Information Session
If you are interested in applying to the Academy, attend an Information Session where you can tour the school, meet staff and current students, and receive an overview of the school and curriculum. There is no need to pre-register for an Information Session. Attending an Information Session is highly recommended but is not required.
Information Sessions Dates and Times
- Thursday, October 4, 2018, from 6:30 pm – 8:30 pm
- Wednesday, January 23, 2019, from 6:30 pm – 8:30 pm
- Saturday, February 2, 2019, from 10:00 am – 12:00 pm
Sunday, February 10, 2019, from 1:00 pm – 3:00 pm(snow date only)
Information Sessions begin promptly at the designated start time with a Director’s Welcome in Mass Academy’s Arthur Chase Brickyard. Due to limited seating in the Brickyard (our auditorium area), once capacity is reached session will commence (Group A). If more attendees arrive after the first session begins, they will be assigned to Group B. Group B will begin with Classroom Visits, and then attend a second Director’s Welcome in the Brickyard.
A Typical Information Session Schedule for a Weekend Day 10 am – 12 pm
|10:00 – 10:30 am Director’s Welcome #1||10:00 – 11:00 am Classroom Visits|
|10:30 – 12:00 pm Classroom Visits||11:00 – 11:30 am Director’s Welcome #2|
|11:30 – 12:00 pm Classroom Visits|
The Director’s Welcome will be provide overview of the Mass Academy program, including admission policies, curriculum, school calendar, and expectations.
The Classroom Visits will give families an opportunity to visit the classroom areas, and to speak with Academy faculty and current students.
Schedule an Admissions Diagnostic Test
The Mass Academy Admissions Diagnostic Test is a two-hour assessment consisting of a one-hour Math and Science test, and a one-hour Writing and Reading test.
- The Math and Science test includes Geometry, Algebra I and II, and general problem solving (it does not include any specific science subject areas). No calculators are allowed.
- The Writing and Reading test includes grammar, composition skills, comprehension, and analysis.
- Because the tests cover general high school knowledge, no advanced preparation or studying is needed.
- The tests are administered at the Academy, located at 85 Prescott Street, Worcester.
- Please bring at least two pencils.
- Taking the Diagnostic Test is a requirement for all current 10th grade applicants in order to corroborate and complement students’ transcript grades and standardized test scores.
Diagnostic Test Dates and Times
- Wednesday, January 30, 2019, from 6:00 pm – 8:00 pm
- Saturday, February 9, 2019, from 8:30 am – 10:30 am
- Tuesday, February 19, 2019, from 6:00 pm – 8:00 pm
- Saturday, February 23, 2019, from 8:30 am – 10:30 am (snow date only)
Click on the Schedule a Diagnostic Test button at the top of this page to register for a test date.
Schedule a Shadow Day
A Shadow Day involves spending a day at the Academy, attending classes with a host student, experiencing a typical school day to get a sense of the program, and to meet students and faculty. Shadow Days may be scheduled for school days from January through March. Attending a Shadow Day is highly recommended but is not required, and is only for current 10th grade students.
Shadow Day Overview
- Arrive between 7:15 – 7:30 am to meet your host and to get organized. The first class starts at 7:45 am.
- Bring your own lunch and a water bottle. We have a refrigerator, microwaves, and water fountains for student use.
- Guests must follow our school policies.
- Visiting students must remain with their assigned hosts at all times.
- Pick-up is at 2:45 pm at the Academy.
NOTE: We follow the Worcester Public School System for snow cancellations and delays. Because the Academy is in session during public school’s February vacation, if you are scheduled to Shadow during that week, please check our website or call in the event of a snow storm.
Click on the Schedule a Shadow Day button at the top of this page to register for a Shadow Day.
Complete and Submit Your Application
Click on the Apply button at the top of the page to learn more the requirements for a completed application.
Completed applications are due by Friday, March 1, 2019, by 11:59 pm.
Admission decisions are emailed in early May. Students who are accepted will attend a mandatory orientation with their parents on Saturday, May 18th, 2019, from 9 am to 1 pm.
Additional Questions and Contact
Common questions about the Academy are answered in our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) section under the About menu link at the top of the page.
If you have additional questions about the Academy, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 508-831-5859.
Questions specific to the online Application Process can be emailed to email@example.com or by calling 508-831-5859.