A completed application to Mass Academy includes One Math, One Science, One English Teacher Recommendation, One School Counselor Recommendation (with transcripts), and One Optional Recommendation. This page describes what is required for the School Counselor recommendation.
Note 1: The following is for informational purposes only. Applicants must use their accounts in the Application Portal to email recommendation requests to the recommenders from within the system.
Note 2: School Counselor recommendations can be requested at any point in the application process but they should not be completed until the 2nd quarter grades are available – generally in February. If a report is submitted without 2nd quarter grades, then we will need to contact your school counselor for updated grades at a later date.
The School Counselor recommendation form asks for the following information:
Mass Academy Form B – Recommender (School Counselor)
- Applicant name
- School name
- Your title (Mr., Mrs., Ms., Dr.)
- Your first name, last name
- Your phone number, email
- Subject and level of course(s) taught to student, if applicable
- Additional acquaintance (duration and context), if applicable
- Information on current standing covering a period FROM: mm/dd/yyyy, TO: mm/dd/yyyy
- Class rank and size (e.g. 12/250) Class rank in the top % Class rankis weighted? Yes/No
- Cumulative GPA and scale (e.g. 3.8/4.0) GPA is weighted? Yes/No
- Compared to those of other students in his/her grade, the course selections for this student are: Select Average, Above average, Accelerated, or The highest level available
- Which of the following courses will the student have completed by the end of the current school year? Check all that apply; A U.S. History course or equivalent, A full-year course in Algebra II, A full-year course in Chemistry
- Provide the number of times the student was absent, tardy, and dismissed for the past two years:
- Disciplinary History – Has the applicant ever been found responsible for a serious disciplinary violation at your school, or been convicted of a misdemeanor or felony? If yes, then we may contact you for additional information.
- The following questions ask the recommender to rate the applicant using checkboxes in each of the categories listed, where the checkbox options are; No Basis, Below Average (bottom 50%), Average (top 50%), Good (top 25%), Excellent (top 10%), One of the best (top 1%):
- Academic Achievement
- Extracurricular Accomplishments
- Personal Qualities and Character
- Transcript: Please attach an official transcript that includes completed and current courses. School counselor recommendations should not be completed until the 2nd quarter grades are available. You may also include copies of the PSAT, SAT, MCAS, PARCC, or other standardized test scores, but we prefer you list them above. Only one PDF file may be attached (which can contain multiple pages).
- Standardized test scores – Reporting of standardized test scores is optional. If the applicant has requested, please provide us with any standardized test scores the student received from grade 8 or beyond, such as PSAT, SAT, SSAT, ACT, MCAS, AP, or other state or national standardized tests. Paper versions of standardized test scores can be scanned in and attached to the transcripts, although you can simply list below the test type and summary score (not sub-scores). We prefer you use the following text template to cut-and-paste, add, edit, or delete any entries that do not apply.
- List a few words to describe this student:
- How strongly do you recommend this student to the Academy?
- Written Evaluation – Critical factors for success at Mass Academy include meeting deadlines, working collaboratively, and handling long-term projects. Please provide a candid recommendation for the applicant, containing specific facts and anecdotes in sentence or bullet format that addresses at least a few of the following questions. You may word-process and paste text from another document. (3000 character maximum including spaces, approximately 500 words)
- Can you elaborate on any checkbox ratings you selected above that are notably higher or lower than the overall rating?
- How does the applicant approach and apply new and difficult content?
- How was the applicant able to work effectively and respectfully with those of different perspectives and abilities?
- What motivates the applicant academically or personally?
- Has the student demonstrated a willingness to take intellectual risks and go beyond the normal classroom experience?
- What will you remember most about this applicant in terms of resilience, perseverance, or grit?
- How has the applicant responded to remote learning and other academic challenges during the pandemic?