Mass Academy is highly selective, admitting approximately 50 new students to the junior class each year. Most candidates are high honors students in their current schools or are in the top percentages of their classes, and have impressive lists of extracurricular activities. Admission criteria include high school grades, teacher recommendations, standardized test scores, extracurricular activities, a personal essay, and scores on the Academy diagnostic test.
If you’re interested in applying to the Academy, begin by attending an Information Session, where you can tour the school, meet staff and current students, and receive an overview of the school and curriculum. There’s no need to pre-register for an Information Session.
Information Sessions Dates and Times
- Thursday, October 26, 2017 6:30 pm – 8:30 pm
- Thursday, January 25, 2018 6:30 pm – 8:30 pm
- Saturday, February 3, 2108 10:00 am – 12:00 pm
- Sunday, February 11, 2018 1:00 pm – 3:00 pm
Shadow Days, which offer interested students a more in-depth look at a day in the life of Mass Academy students, are also available. Shadow Days may be scheduled for school days from January through March; call 508-831-5859 to arrange a visit.
Once you’ve visited and learned more about the Academy, follow these steps to complete the application process:
- Schedule an Admissions Diagnostic Test. This is a two-hour test consisting of a one-hour math and science section that includes geometry, algebra I and II, and general problem solving; and a one-hour writing and humanities test that includes grammar, sentence construction, paraphrasing, and literary analysis. Tests will be administered at the Academy; visit the test registration website to sign up for an available date.
Diagnostic Test Dates
- Wednesday, February 7, 2018 6:00 pm – 8:00 pm
- Saturday, February 10, 2018 8:30 am – 10:30 pm
- Wednesday, February 21, 2018 1:00 pm – 3:00 pm
- Complete your application. A complete application includes an applicant form; recommendations from three teachers (math, science, and humanities) and a guidance counselor; a transcript; and standardized test scores. Visit the application portal to begin your application and for more information.
Admission decisions are usually mailed in early May. Students who are accepted will then attend a mandatory orientation with their parents. Feel free to email the Academy or call 508-831-5859 with any questions.