The admissions process includes the following steps:
1. Review the Academy website. Determine whether you are eligible to apply to the Academy and that it is a good fit for you. If you are interested then Start an Application by clicking the Apply link at right.
2. Attend an Information Session. The main goals of the Information Sessions are to:
- Meet staff and students
- Get an overview of the school and the curriculum
- Clarify questions about the application process
- Tour the school
- Each Information Session will begin promptly at the start time with a short presentation by the director, followed by an opportunity to interact with faculty and students. There is no need to pre-register for an Information Session.
2017 Information Session dates and times:
- Wednesday, January 25, 2017, from 6:30 - 8:30 pm
- Saturday, February 4, 2017, from 10:00 am - 12:00 noon
- Sunday, February 12, 2017, from 10:00 am - 12:00 pm Please note time change
- February 22, 2017, from 6:30 - 8:00 pm Open to students of all ages and their families.
3. Schedule a Shadow Day. A Shadow Day involves spending the morning at the Academy, going to classes with a host student and experiencing a typical school day to get a sense of the program, students, and faculty. After lunch, you will be escorted to WPI with a senior via the WPI Gateway Shuttle and tour the campus for the afternoon. Shadow Days may be scheduled for school days from January - March. Please call 508-831-5859 to schedule a visit, preferably after attending an Information Session.
Shadow Day Overview:
- Arrive between 7:25 - 7:40 am to meet your host and to get organized. School starts at 7:45 am.
- Bring your own lunch. We have a refrigerator and microwaves for student use.
- Guests must follow our school policies.
- Please dress accordingly for cold weather for the guided tour of the WPI campus.
- Visiting students must remain with their assigned hosts at all times.
- Pick-up is at 2:30 pm at the Academy.
- NOTE: We follow the Worcester Public School System for snow cancellations and delays. If you are planning to visit during February school vacation week, please call the Academy in event of a snow storm.
4. Schedule an Admissions Diagnostic Test. The Admission Diagnostic Test is a two-hour test consisting of a 1 hour Math and Science test which includes Geometry, Algebra I and II, and general problem solving (it does not include any specific science subject areas), and a 1 hour Writing and Humanities test that includes grammar, sentence construction, paraphrasing, and literary analysis. Because the tests cover general high school knowledge, no preparation or studying is required. The tests are administered at the Academy.
Diagnostic Test dates and times for this application season.
- Wednesday, February 22, 2017, from 1:00 - 3:00 pm
- Saturday, February 25, 2017, from 8:30 - 10:30 am
- Wednesday, March 1, 2017, from 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm
To Register for a Diagnostic Test date, click on https://mams.schoolappointments.com to set up an account and then choose from one of the available dates.
5. Complete your Application. A completed online application includes: An applicant form; Three (3) teacher recommendations (math, science, and humanities); and a guidance counselor recommendation along with a transcript and standardized test scores. Completed applications are due no later than Friday, March 17, 2017.
6. Wait for Admission Decision. Decisions for admission will be mailed by Monday, May 1, 2017.
7. Attend Accepted Student Orientation. Accepted students will attend a mandatory orientation on Saturday May 20, 2017, from 10:30 am - 2:30 pm at the Academy. Parent(s) will attend the first hour with their student and then be invited to an orientation lunch with the Mass Academy Parent Support Group (PSG) to talk about Academy life.
8. Ask questions. Feel free to email the Academy at email@example.com , or call 508-831-5859 to ask us questions.